Why should local government authorities use an interpreter?
Local government authorities provide essential services to their residents and will sometimes need to engage a credentialed interpreter to communicate with people who have limited or no English language proficiency. This is particularly important when communicating complex or technical information and can facilitate better access to these services.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register, and you will be connected to a phone interpreter within a few minutes of calling.
Services available to local government authorities
Local government authorities can use the Free Interpreting Service to access interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting
- video remote interpreting.
Local government authorities are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service to communicate with anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare. The Free Interpreting Service can be used to deliver local government services and activities, including, but not limited to:
- rates enquiries
- parking and building permits
- planning and urban services
- local government funded community support services
- emergency preparedness and response activities
- local government funded library and recreation services
- parks and public amenities services and maintenance
- animal safety, control and registration (excludes compliance activities)
- food or building safety and regulation (excludes compliance activities).
The Free Interpreting Service cannot be used by local government authorities for:
- local tourism or other commercial activities
- compliance visits (for example, health and safety inspections)
- citizenship ceremonies
- services provided on behalf of another government body (that is, services funded by state, territory or Commonwealth governments).
Register for the Free Interpreting Service
Each local government authority will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for the Free Interpreting Service, complete the client registration form.
If you require assistance with registering or have queries about eligibility, contact TIS National’s Free Interpreting Service team.
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Read: about how to access TIS National’s online booking system TIS Online
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
- Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or firstname.lastname@example.org
24 hours a day, every day of the year
Download the PDF version of the Free Interpreting Service - local government authorities information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - local government authorities information sheet