How to become a client
Benefits of becoming a TIS National client
TIS National’s resources and depth of experience makes it ideally placed to provide professional interpreting services accessible to the community.
- provides phone interpreting services 24 hours, every day of the year
- has over 70 years’ experience in the industry
- helps your organisation provide equitable access to services to non-English speakers in the community
- provides the highest credentialed interpreter available in the language requested.
TIS National is a leader in the interpreting industry and uses contracted interpreters who:
- hold NAATI credentials and certifications, including Working With Children Check (WWCC) and National Disability Insurance Scheme Worker Check (NDIS-WSC).
- are insured for professional indemnity, public liability, and workers compensation
- have been cleared through providing a National Police History Check/National Police Certificate (NPC)
- are bound by the Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) Code of Ethics.
Register your organisation
To access Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) services, your agency first must register for a client code with TIS National.
There are no administration fees for registering a client code with TIS National. You will only be charged for the individual interpreting services you use.
To register for a client code with TIS National, complete the client registration form on the TIS National website. You will be required to provide the following information:
- a contact name and phone number
- if possible, a secondary contact
- your email address
- the name of your agency
- the phone number you would like our operators to call when a non-English speaker requests to speak to your agency
- an Australian mailing and postal address
- any required information you need recorded on individual job records.
You will also need to decide if your agency would like to accept calls to your agency initiated by your non-English speaking clients.
Upon successful registration, your client code details will be emailed to you and be available for immediate use.
If you require assistance with the registration process please contact the TIS National customer support team on 1300 655 820 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free interpreting service through TIS National
The Australian Government, through TIS National, offers a free interpreting service to approved groups and individuals when communicating with non-English clients who are eligible for Medicare.
The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service:
- Medical practitioners: when delivering Medicare rebatable services in private practice. Nurses, reception and other practice support staff can also access the service when working with the registered medical practitioner.
- Pharmacies: to provide community pharmacy services.
- Non-government organisations (NGOs): when providing casework and emergency services, where the organisation does not receive substantial government funding to provide these services
- Real estate agencies: to discuss any private residential property matter.
- Local government authorities: to communicate about most local government services.
- Trade unions: to assist workers to access support and advice.
- Parliamentarians: for constituency purposes.
- Eligible allied health professionals: when delivering Medicare rebatable services in private practice within specific local government areas (LGA).
To find out more about free interpreting please refer to The Free Interpreting Service information page.
To find out if your agency is eligible for free services through TIS National, please refer to the Free Interpreting Service eligibility calculator.
Eligible medical practitioners, pharmacies, real estate agencies, local government authorities, trade unions and parliamentarians can register for the Free Interpreting Service by completing the client registration form.
If you would like more information about free services through TIS National, or need help completing the client registration form for free services, please call the Free Interpreting Service Team on 1300 575 847 or email TIS.FreeInterpreting@homeaffairs.gov.au.
Share this pageFacebook Twitter