Free Interpreting Service for parliamentarians
The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services for people with limited or no English language proficiency.
Parliamentarians and their staff can access the Free Interpreting Service to communicate with constituents.
Why should parliamentarians engage an interpreter?
Australia has rich cultural and linguistic diversity. The 2021 census revealed that over 5.5 million Australians speak a language other than English at home. Furthermore, Australian’s represent over 250 different ancestries and speak more than 350 languages.
As elected representatives, parliamentarians have a duty to communicate with their constituents, especially to advocate on their behalf. Parliamentarians can engage a credentialed interpreter to communicate complex or technical information to communities or individuals who have limited or no English language proficiency.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register and you will be connected to a telephone interpreter within a few minutes of calling.
Services available to parliamentarians
Parliamentarians can use the Free Interpreting Service to access interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting
- video remote interpreting.
All Australian parliamentarians and their staff are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service if the parliamentarian is:
- a current serving member of any federal, state or territory parliament. This includes members of Parliament, Senators, Members of Legislative Assemblies and Legislative Councils.
- using the service to communicate with anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare.
The Free Interpreting Service can be used for constituency purposes, including but not limited to:
- community consultations and forums
- advocating on behalf of a constituent.
The Free Interpreting Service cannot be used for:
- campaigning, party membership drives, fundraising or other party related activities
- communicating with people who are not eligible for Medicare, such as tourists, Temporary Work visa holders, and international students.
Register for the Free Interpreting Service
Each parliamentarian will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for a client code, complete the online client registration form on the TIS National website. If you require assistance with registering, contact TIS National on 1300 575 847, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Read: about how to access TIS National’s online booking system TIS Online
- Watch: videos about TIS National services and how to work with interpreters tisnational.gov.au/videos
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
- Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or email@example.com
Free Interpreting Service: 131 450Download the PDF version of the Free Interpreting Service - parliamentarians information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - parliamentarians information sheet