Free Interpreting Service for real estate agencies
The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services for people with limited or no English language proficiency.
Real estate agencies can access the Free Interpreting Service to discuss any private residential property matters with their clients.
Why should real estate agencies engage an interpreter?
Australia has a rich cultural and linguistic diversity. The 2021 census revealed that over 5.5 million Australians speak a language other than English at home. Furthermore, Australians represent over 250 different ancestries and speak more than 350 languages.
Real estate agents are obliged to make sure that clients properly understand details of transactions, particularly when entering into legally binding agreements, such as tenancies and sales contracts, or when explaining tenancy obligations.
Real estate agents can engage a credentialed interpreter to communicate technical or complex information and to establish a relationship with clients who have limited or no English language proficiency.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register, and you will be connected to a telephone interpreter within a few minutes of calling.
Services available to real estate agencies
Any property manager, office support staff, or real estate agent can use the Free Interpreting Service to access phone interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- video remote interpreting.
Real estate agencies are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service if they:
- hold a real estate agency licence
- provide private residential property services (rental or sales), and
- are providing services to anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare.
The Free Interpreting Service can be used for any private residential property matter, including but not limited to:
- signing new tenancy agreements
- organising an inspection
- consulting with owners wishing to sell their house
- consulting with buyers wishing to buy a house
- completing the sale of a house.
Register for the Free Interpreting Service
Each real estate agent will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for a client code, complete the online client registration form on the TIS National website. If you require assistance with registering, contact TIS National on 1300 575 847, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Read: about how to access TIS National’s online booking system TIS Online
- Watch: videos about TIS National services and how to work with interpreters tisnational.gov.au/videos
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
- Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or email@example.com
Free Interpreting Service: 131 450Download the PDF version of the Free Interpreting Service - real estate agencies information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - real estate agencies information sheet