Why should trade unions engage an interpreter?
Trade unions represent the interests of their members and help them to access supports. Trade unions can engage a credentialed interpreter to communicate technical or complex information to members with limited or no English language proficiency. This is particularly important when explaining entitlements, advocating on behalf of a member, or promoting workplace health and safety.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register and you will be connected to a phone interpreter within a few minutes of calling.
Services available to trade unions
Trade unions can use the Free Interpreting Service to access interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting
- video remote interpreting.
Trade unions are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service to communicate with anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare.
The Free Interpreting Service can be used to provide support and advice to workers, including but not limited to:
- employment or award conditions
- union services
- occupational health and safety concerns
- representing a member during a dispute resolution.
The Free Interpreting Service cannot be used by trade unions for:
- contract negotiation
- recruitment activities and membership drives
- attending legal proceedings, where the responsibility for providing interpreting services lies with the Fair Work Ombudsman or the relevant court or tribunal
- communicating with people who are not eligible for Medicare, such as Temporary work and Student visa holders.
If you need to communicate with members on matters not covered by the Free Interpreting Service you may wish to set up a user-pays code with TIS National.
Register for the Free Interpreting Service
Each trade union will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for the Free Interpreting Service, complete the client registration form.
If you require assistance with registering or have queries about eligibility, contact TIS National’s Free Interpreting Service team.
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Read: about how to access TIS National’s online booking system TIS Online
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or firstname.lastname@example.org
24 hours a day, every day of the year
Download the PDF version of the FreeInterpreting Service - trade unions information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - trade unions information sheet