Terms and conditions of use
- Your use of this website and services provided by the Translating and Interpreting Service (“TIS National”) for the supply of interpreting services is subject to the terms and conditions set out below and any terms and conditions that appear in, are referred to, or are linked to the website or these terms and conditions (“Terms”). Subject to clause 1(2) below, in the event of any inconsistency or conflict, the terms and conditions set out below prevail.
- If you have separately entered into an arrangement with TIS National for the supply of interpreting services, the terms of that arrangement prevail to the extent of any inconsistency or conflict with the Terms.
- If you do not accept these Terms, you must refrain from using the website or any services provided by TIS National.
- The Commonwealth of Australia, as represented by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection ABN 33 380 054 835 of 6 Chan Street, Belconnen ACT 2617 or its successor (“us”, “our”, “we”, “the Department” or “the Commonwealth”) is the administrator of TIS National and the website and services provided by TIS National.
- In these Terms:
- "you" and "user" means anyone who visits and/or uses the website or services provided by TIS National including agencies, organisations, interpreters and individuals;
- a reference to the "website" means https://www.tisnational.gov.au/ and/or https://tisonline.tisnational.gov.au;
- services provided by TIS National which are subject to these Terms include:
- registration as a TIS National client using the online form provided on the website, email or by telephone;
- creation of a TIS National account using the online form provided on the website, email or by telephone or use of a TIS National account;
- registration for and use of the TIS Online automated booking system for self-managed on-site interpreting bookings including creation of and use of a TIS Online profile (“TIS Online”);
- online and telephone bookings for interpreting services;
- onsite and telephone interpreting services;
- applications for access to and use of ATIS;
- applications to become an interpreter with TIS National using the online form provided on the website;
- orders for promotional materials using the online form provided on the website; and
- any other services as determined by TIS National from time to time (together, the “TIS National Services”); and
- providing feedback to TIS National using the online form;
- the singular includes the plural and vice versa, and a gender includes other genders;
- another grammatical form of a defined word or expression has a corresponding meaning;
- a reference to a document, publication, Commonwealth policy or instrument is a reference to the document, publication, Commonwealth policy or instrument as altered, supplemented or replaced from time to time;
- a reference to A$, $A, AUD, dollar or $ is to Australian currency unless stated otherwise;
- a reference to time is to the time in the place where the obligation is to be performed or, to the extent that there is any uncertainty, to the time in the Australian Capital Territory (“ACT”);
- a reference to a party includes the party's executors, administrators, successors and permitted assigns and substitutes;
- a reference to a person includes a natural person, partnership, body corporate, association, governmental or local authority or agency or other entity;
- if the user is a trustee, the user accepts the Terms and enters into the Agreement personally and in its capacity as trustee and warrants that it has the power to perform its obligations under the Terms;
- a reference to a statute, ordinance, code or other law includes regulations and other instruments under it and consolidations, amendments, re-enactments or replacements of any of them;
- the meaning of general words is not limited by specific examples introduced by "including", "for example" or similar expressions;
- any agreement, representation, warranty or indemnity by two or more parties (including where two or more persons are included in the same defined term) binds them jointly and severally;
- any agreement, representation, warranty or indemnity in favour of two or more parties (including where two or more persons are included in the same defined term) is for the benefit of them jointly and severally;
- a rule of construction does not apply to the disadvantage of a party because the party was responsible for the preparation of this Contract or any part of those documents;
- if a day on or by which an obligation must be performed or an event must occur is not a business day in the relevant location, the obligation must be performed or the event must occur on or by the next business day in that location; and
- headings are for ease of reference only and do not affect interpretation.
3. User Agreement
- accessing and/or using the website; or
- accessing and/or using any TIS National Services,
- These Terms may be amended at any time without notice and your access to and use of this website and TIS National Services may be terminated at any time without notice. Your continued use of this website and TIS National Services following such amendment of these Terms will represent an acknowledgment that you have read the Terms as amended and agree to be bound. We recommend you review the Terms for amendments each time you use the website and before using TIS National Services.
you acknowledge that you have read and accept the Terms and agree to be bound by them, and an agreement is formed between us and you (“Agreement”).
4. Legal Capacity
- You must be eighteen (18) years of age or over to access or use any TIS National Services.
- Any booking made by you using the website or use of any TIS National Services is an acknowledgement by you that you:
- are over the age of eighteen (18) years;
- accept these Terms; and
- agree that you have entered into a legal contract with us in relation to these Terms; and
3. The Department reserves the right to take legal action and seek compensation from the parent or guardian of a minor who causes a booking to be made, for any loss or damage we may suffer as a result of a transaction entered into by a minor.
- All on-site interpreting booking requests must be made in writing using the online form provided on the website or using your TIS Online account. Wherever possible, you must provide at least one weeks’ prior notice for on-site interpreting requests using the TIS Online account or completing the on-site job online registration form.
- Non-emergency on-site online interpreting booking requests may be entered in TIS Online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Bookings may be made for appointments up to 90 days in advance from the date of request.
- In the event of an emergency situation, you may contact us by telephone and we will use all reasonable efforts to provide you with an on-site interpreter. You must submit a written request to us as soon as possible after contacting us by telephone.
- It is your responsibility to notify us if you have any specific requirements for an interpreter, such as:
- National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (“NAATI”) accreditation;
- gender; and
- continuity of the interpreter providing the service.
- You acknowledge that:
- the transmission of your booking made through the website (“Electronic Instruction”) may not be received by us for reasons beyond either party's reasonable control including but not limited to, electronic failure, mechanical, software, computer, or telecommunications failure, or the omission or failure of third party website providers or systems;
- we may act on and process all completed bookings transmitted or issued through the website without further consent from or reference to you;
- we may treat a booking as authentic and we are under no obligation to investigate the authenticity or authority of persons issuing or transmitting such Electronic Instructions, or to verify the accuracy and completeness of such Electronic Instructions;
- all booking requests are subject to availability and confirmation by us. We make no guarantee that the interpreting service requested will be available, or that a specific interpreter can be allocated to you in accordance to your request;
- we may, in our sole and absolute discretion, accept or reject any booking made by you for any reason (or no reason), including an error in your booking; and
- we will assign work to interpreters in accordance with the TIS National allocation policy. The full policy can be found at TIS National's allocation policy.
- Interpreter instructions entered into the job booking request form will automatically be displayed to interpreters and must not refer to specific interpreters, contain defamatory or offensive remarks or be specific requirements for the job.
- Instructions should be limited to instructions that the interpreter may need to locate the site location at the time of the on-site booking.
- Cancellations for on-site interpreting jobs or pre-booked telephone interpreting jobs must be made at least 24 hours prior to the starting time of the appointment in order to avoid charges.
- To cancel an on-site interpreting job or pre-booked telephone interpreting job, you must:
- where a booking is made using TIS Online, cancel the booking using the TIS Online account; or.
- where a booking is not made using TIS Online, send an email to either the on-site booking team (firstname.lastname@example.org) or pre-booked telephone booking team (email@example.com) with the job details (including the job number).
- When an on-site interpreting job or pre-booked telephone interpreting job is cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice, you will be charged in accordance with the TIS National Cancellation Policy
- 4. A booking for multiple-day interpreting with less than 24 hours’ cancellation notice will attract a cancellation fee equivalent to the charge for a full day’s work, including interpreter travel time and costs (if applicable).
7. Service Charges
- We will charge you in accordance with the fees specified in the published schedule of service charges available on the website at TIS National Interpreting Service Charges.
- If you are approved to access free interpreting services for non-government organisations, the terms and conditions on the website at Free Interpreting Service for NGOs apply.
- Service charges shown on the website are in Australian dollars and include GST where applicable. Prices are subject to change at any time and without notice.
- We reserve the right to correct any errors published on the website.
- You must pay us the relevant fees payable for the supply of interpreting services, subject to us delivering valid tax invoices to you for each calendar month.
- Payment must be made within 28 days from the date of a correctly rendered tax invoice.
- Invoices will be sent to the nominated e-billing email address or nominated mailing address. You will not be able to access or pay an invoice in TIS Online.
- must update financial information by contacting their Interpreter Liaison Officer in writing. Interpreters cannot update any financial information or view payment summaries in TIS Online; and
- agree to receive payment summaries by email.
- A tax invoice is valid if it contains the details as required by the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (Cth).
9. Obligations of User
- You are responsible for any use of your TIS National account and the management of passwords, including any use by agents who are invited to use a TIS Online or TIS National account on your behalf.
- You must not access or link to or seek to access or link to any other person’s TIS National account or TIS Online account.
- You are solely responsible for the contents of material provided. This includes, but is not limited to material provided for databases, translation and interpreting.
- You assume all risks associated with use of the website and TIS National Services, including:
- risk of your computer, software or data being damaged by any virus which might be transmitted or activated via the website or your access to it or TIS National Services; or
- the risk that the content of this website and linked websites complies with the laws of any country.
- You agree:
- that all material, information and other types of data submitted to us will be, to the best of your knowledge, true and complete. If you are submitting information using the website or TIS Online and you do not wish to provide the details of the non-English speaking client, please enter the work as “Confidential” or leave the relevant field blank;
- to provide certain, current, complete, and accurate information about you as prompted to do so by the website or any TIS National Service. If you are an agency and do not wish to provide your name for the purposes of a job, please use an alias;
- not to permit any other person to use your TIS National account or TIS Online login details to update your information or modify bookings;
- to keep your email, interpreter ID or client ID number (as applicable) and password secure;
- to notify us of any change in your email address or contact details;
- to supply document(s) and other materials requested by us;
- to notify us of any errors in a booking or in your representations and warranties;
- to cooperate with any reasonable requests in connection with TIS National's delivery of TIS National Services or notification to the intended recipient of the TIS National Services;
- to use the website and TIS National Services only for lawful purposes and in a manner that does not infringe the rights or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the website or TIS National Services by any third party;
- to refrain from publishing defamatory or offensive comments in free text fields. If you are found to be entering defamatory or offensive comments into the website you may have your account locked, suspended or terminated;
- to comply with all relevant legislation of the Commonwealth and of all applicable States, Territories and local authorities in using the website and TIS National Services, in particular:
- Crimes Act 1914 (Cth);
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth);
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth);
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth); and
- Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999 (Cth); and
- that unauthorised use of this website could result in criminal prosecution.
10. Suspension or termination of your TIS National or TIS Online account
- The Department reserves the right to lock, suspend or terminate your TIS Online or TIS National account(s) at any time.
11. Information that you provide to us
- When you submit information on the website or through any TIS National Services, you grant the Department the license to publish, transmit or otherwise use that content in any way, now and in the future.
- The Department reserves the right to not publish the content you submit.
- You warrant that you have all of the necessary rights, including copyright, in the content you contribute, that your content is not defamatory and that it does not infringe any law.
- You waive any moral rights to the content that you provide to the Department in accordance with these Terms.
- By agreeing to these Terms, you consent to the Department’s use of your personal information for the purposes of supplying TIS National Services. You can obtain more information about the way in which the Department will manage your personal information by accessing our detailed privacy statement.
12. Nature of Relationship
- Nothing in the Terms shall be construed to place the Department and you in a relationship of partner, principal and agent or as entering into a joint venture.
- Terms and conditions regarding the copyright of the content on this website are located in our copyright notice.
- By using this website or any TIS National Services you accept the following conditions:
- You expressly agree that use of the website or TIS National Services is at your sole risk.
- No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the Department or through TIS National Services shall create any warranty or representation not expressly made herein.
- The Department expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, including the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- The Department makes no representation or warranty:
- that the website or TIS National Services will meet your requirements, or that access to and use of the website or TIS National Services will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free;
- as to the results that may be obtained from the use of TIS National Services or as to the accuracy or reliability of any information obtained through TIS National Services;
- as to the quality of interpreting services that may be obtained from the use of the website or TIS National Services;
- that information and services provided on the website do not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person and the Department does not authorise or accept responsibility for the reproduction of any material on the website;
- that the content of the website complies with the laws of any country;
- that the material or any information provided on the website or any linked website will not cause damage, or is free from any computer virus or any other defects or errors;
- as to the suitability of the website or TIS National Services for any purpose; and
- as to the suitability of the information accessible for viewing by minors or any other person.
- The Department accepts no responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of any of the information contained on or accessed through this website and makes no representations or warranties about its suitability for any particular purpose.
- The Department will use all reasonable efforts to ensure that the information on the website is accurate and comprehensive. However, the information is only intended as a basic guide to relevant laws, and does not address the complexities of particular circumstances. You should seek independent advice about your individual circumstances.
- To the extent permitted by law, the Department excludes all liability to you or anyone else for any loss (including consequential loss, indirect loss and loss of any profits), injury or damage of any kind (however caused or arising) relating in any way to the website and TIS National Services including, but not limited to, loss, injury or damage you might suffer as a result of:
- the use of, or reliance on, the information contained on or accessed through this website whether or not caused by any negligence on the part of the Department or its agents;
- your use of or access to the website or TIS National Services or your inability to access the website or TIS National Services.
- any interruption or cessation of transmission to or from the website including a failure to receive an Electronic Instruction for whatever reason;
- any unauthorised access to or use of the website’s secure servers;
- any interference with or damage to your computer system, software or data occurring in connection with or relating to the website or use of TIS National Services including in relation to any bugs, viruses, trojan horses or other harmful code or communications which may be transmitted to or through the website by any third party;
- the quality or fitness for any purpose of any linked sites;
- the risk that the content of the website and linked web sites complies with the laws of any country outside Australia; or
- any delay in the Department performing any of their obligations if such delay is caused by circumstances beyond their reasonable control, including but not limited to, unavailability of interpreters, failure of or interruption in the provision of essential services such as electricity supply, bank payment systems or postal deliveries.
- The Department makes every effort to ensure that links on the website are kept up-to-date. The currency of the links is dependent upon the owners of those sites letting us know of any changes. If you find a link that does not work, please contact us by telephone or via the online feedback form on the website.
- The Department has no direct control over the content of linked third party websites and do not endorse or accept responsibility for any linked third party websites or its content or for any loss or inconvenience arising from use of a linked third party website or its content.
- Information or materials which are offensive, pornographic, unsuitable for minors' access or otherwise of a criminal or violent nature may be accessible through this website either as a result of hacking or material placed on linked websites.
- You agree that your use of the website and TIS National Services will be logged for the purpose of security and usage monitoring. For further information refer to the website's privacy statement.
- You must at all times indemnify, and keep indemnified, the Department including their directors, officers, employees and agents (“those indemnified”) from and against any:
- loss of or damage to property of those indemnified or any other person;
- loss incurred in dealing with any claim against those indemnified including legal costs and expenses on a solicitor/own client basis and the cost of time spent, resources used or disbursements paid by the Department; or
- the personal injury or death of any person, arising from:
- any act or omission by the you or your agent in connection with the Terms, the website or use of TIS National Services;
- any breach by you or your agent of your obligations or warranties under the Terms or in connection with the website or use of TIS National Services;
- any unauthorised use or disclosure by you or your agents of personal information (as defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)) held or controlled in connection with the Terms; or
- the use by those indemnified of any information provided by you (including in respect of any infringement of intellectual property rights in that information), irrespective of whether there was fault on the part of the person whose conduct gave rise to that liability or loss.
- Without limiting clause 15(1), if you request that TIS National provide a specific interpreter to fulfil your booking contrary to TIS National’s allocation policy and TIS National agrees to that request, you agree:
- that the Commonwealth has no liability associated with the appointment of the requested interpreter;
- not to start any proceedings against the Commonwealth and if you do, the Commonwealth can rely on this clause 15(2) as evidence of your agreement not to start proceedings;
- that the indemnity in clause 15(1) extends to all proceedings, claims, demands, losses and detriment of any nature that may be brought or made against the Commonwealth associated with the appointment of the requested interpreter; and
- to release and forever discharge the Commonwealth from all proceedings, claims, demands, losses and detriment of any nature, whether in tort or contract, which you have or may at any time have against the Commonwealth associated with the appointment of the requested interpreter.
- For the avoidance of doubt, clause 15(2) applies to:
- an individual who has made a request under clause 15(2) on behalf of that individual; and
- an agency or organisation, where an individual has made a request under clause 15(2) on behalf of that organisation or agency,
- Your liability to indemnify the Department will be reduced proportionately to the extent that any breach of the Terms by the Department or any act or omission involving fault on the part of the Department contributed to the relevant liability or loss.
- The right to be indemnified is in addition to, and not exclusive of, any other right, power or remedy provided by law.
but does not apply to an individual who has made a request on behalf of an organisation or agency to the extent that clause 15(3)(ii) applies.
- Your personal information is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), and is collected by us to establish and administer the website including, your TIS National account and TIS Online account and profile.
- Your information may be used by us or given to other parties for the intended purpose of providing you with TIS National Services, where you have agreed or it is required or authorised by law.
- You acknowledge and agree to our privacy statement available at privacy statement.
- Users registered with TIS Online accounts agree to receive email and SMS notifications from time to time in relation to on-site bookings. User preferences may be tailored the TIS Online profile.
- Interpreters agree to receive email and SMS notifications about their upcoming or potential on-site bookings. If you have not received an email notification as expected check your spam folders and ensure we are added to your trusted senders list.
- Do not reply to emails received from noreply@TISNational.gov.au. This is an unsupervised inbox and any notifications received here will not be deemed accepted by TIS National.
- If you receive an SMS from TIS National No Reply, do not reply back. This is an unsupervised account and any notifications received here will not be deemed accepted by TIS National.
- We will, from time to time, provide information about changes to services via the TIS National website. You must refer to the website for any general information and communications that may impact on the delivery of TIS National Services.
- If you have subscribed to receive e-communications you may receive news items and information about service changes via email. You may unsubscribe at any time.
- The Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure your information is secure, accurately recorded and not corrupted or changed.
- The Department is responsible for the security of your information while it is collected by, stored on or passing through TIS National systems.
- Other agencies are responsible for the security of your information while it is collected by, stored on or passing through systems within their control.You acknowledge and agree to our terms and conditions regarding the security of our website available at TIS National Security.
- Interpreting services are provided for the immediate use of the listeners only. No recordings are permitted whilst interpreting services are being delivered without prior written approval by us. TIS National reserves the right to record interpreting services for training and quality assurance purposes, subject to complying with its obligations under clause 16 above.
- If any part of these Terms are found to be void, invalid, unlawful or unenforceable then that provision or part thereof will be deemed to be severed from these Terms and the remaining terms and provisions of these Terms will remain in force and constitute the Agreement between you and the Department.
- The failure by the Department to exercise or enforce any right or provision under these Terms will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. Any waiver of any rights or provisions under these Terms will only be effective if it is in writing and signed by us.
- Should you object to the Terms or any subsequent modifications to the Terms or become dissatisfied with TIS National Services in any way, your only recourse is to immediately discontinue use of the website or any TIS National Service in which case you must pay any outstanding amounts to us in accordance with these Terms.
23. Governing Law
- These Terms will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the ACT and you irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the ACT.
- If you access the website in a jurisdiction other than ACT, you are responsible for compliance with the laws of that jurisdiction, to the extent that they apply.
We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions as required from time to time.