Why should parliamentarians engage an interpreter?
Australia has rich cultural and linguistic diversity. The 2021 census revealed that over 5.5 million Australians speak a language other than English at home. Furthermore, Australian’s represent over 250 different ancestries and speak more than 350 languages.
As elected representatives, parliamentarians have a duty to communicate with their constituents, especially to advocate on their behalf. Parliamentarians can engage a credentialed interpreter to communicate complex or technical information to communities or individuals who have limited or no English language proficiency.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register and you will be connected to a telephone interpreter within a few minutes of calling.
Services available to parliamentarians
Parliamentarians can use the Free Interpreting Service to access interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting
- video remote interpreting.
All Australian parliamentarians and their staff are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service if the parliamentarian is:
- a current serving member of any federal, state or territory parliament. This includes members of Parliament, Senators, Members of Legislative Assemblies and Legislative Councils.
- using the service to communicate with anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare.
The Free Interpreting Service can be used for constituency purposes, including but not limited to:
- community consultations and forums
- advocating on behalf of a constituent.
The Free Interpreting Service cannot be used for:
- campaigning, party membership drives, fundraising or other party related activities
- communicating with people who are not eligible for Medicare, such as tourists, Temporary Work visa holders, and international students.
Register for the Free Interpreting Service
Each parliamentarian will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for a client code, complete the client registration form. If you require assistance with registering, contact TIS National on 1300 575 847, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Read: about how to access TIS National’s online booking system TIS Online
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or email@example.com
24 hours a day, every day of the year
Download the PDF version of the Free Interpreting Service - parliamentarians information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - parliamentarians information sheet