Career opportunities for interpreters
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is currently recruiting interpreters to meet the ongoing growth in demand for interpreting services in Australia.
Please note, we are currently receiving a large number of interpreter applications. You will be contacted by TIS National when your application is being processed.
Requirements for becoming a TIS National interpreter
We encourage interpreters to have accreditation at the professional level from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) where available.
To be eligible to become a TIS National interpreter you must:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen residing in Australia
- be 18 years of age or older
- have the required qualifications for the language you wish to interpret in
- be able to provide a certified copy of a National Police History Check/National Police Certificate (NPC) dated within the past 12 months
- be able to provide a current employment Working with Children Check from your state or territory of residence, where required (Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and South Australia)
- be able to provide certified copies of 100 points of identification documentation
- have reasonable availability to work between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Recruitment priorities at the professional level
TIS National will consider recruiting interpreters with professional level NAATI accreditation in all languages.
Recruitment priorities at any level
TIS National gives priority to recruiting interpreters who have NAATI accreditation at any level in the following languages:
Recruitment priorities for emerging languages
In languages where NAATI accreditation is not available, we prefer applicants with NAATI recognition.
TIS National would be interested in speaking with individuals who have an interest in working as an interpreter and have good language skills in English and one or more of the following languages:
- Cameroon Pidgin
- Chin (all dialects)
- Chin Haka
- Hokkien (Chinese)
- Liberian Pidgin
- Mauritian Creole
- Pidgin/Neo Melanesian
Recruitment priorities without accreditation
TIS National is willing to consider applications from interpreters without accreditation in the following languages:
Queensland recruitment priorities
TIS National is prioritising applications from NAATI accredited interpreters living in Queensland in the following languages:
Apply to become a TIS National interpreter
If you are interested in becoming an interpreter with TIS National and meet the criteria, complete the interpreter application form and submit with the following documentation:
a certified copy of your NAATI accreditation (if available)
a copy of your National Police History Check/National Police Certificate (NPC). Your NPC must not be more than 12 months old. If your NPC is from Australian Federal Police or State Police, you will need to provide a certified copy. Click here for more information
a certified copy of an employment Working with Children Check from your state or territory of residence. Click here for more information
certified copies of 100 points of identification documentation. Click here for more information
a certified copy of proof of your Australian citizenship or permanent residency, or New Zealand citizenship
details of any interpreting experience you have including reference letters.