Charges and free services
Interpreting service charges
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) provides interpreting services on a fee-for service basis.
Free services through TIS National
The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services that are not government funded, for people with limited or no English language proficiency.
The Free Interpreting Service is delivered by TIS National, on behalf of the Department of Social Services. The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service to provide services to anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare:
The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service.
- Medical practitioners: when delivering Medicare rebateable services in private practice. Nurses, reception and other practice support staff can also access the service when working with the registered medical practitioner.
- Pharmacies: to provide community pharmacy services.
- Non-government organisations: when providing casework and emergency services, where the organisation does not receive substantial government funding to provide these services.
- Real estate agencies: to discuss any private residential property matter.
- Local government authorities: to communicate about most local government services.
- Trade unions: to assist workers to access support and advice.
- Parliamentarians: for constituency purposes.
You can check your eligibility for the Free Interpreting Service using the eligibility calculator on the TIS National website.
Find out if your organisation is eligible for free interpreting.