About the Free Interpreting Service
Who is eligible?
The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service to provide services to anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare:
- Medical practitioners: Private medical practitioners are defined as general practitioners, nurse practitioners, and approved medical specialists. Private medical practitioners are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service when delivering Medicare rebatable services in private practice. Practice support staff working with a private medical practitioner registered with TIS National can also access the service using the same client code.
Private medical practitioners’ information.
- Pharmacies: to provide community pharmacy services and for programs delivered under the Community Pharmacy Agreement.
- Non-government organisations (NGOs): when providing casework and emergency services, where the organisation does not receive substantial government funding to provide these services. Note: Organisations receiving substantial government funding are not eligible for the Free Interpreting Service. Organisations delivering government funded services should discuss access to interpreters with their government funding body.
Non-government organisations’ information.
- Real estate agencies: to discuss any private residential property matter.
Real estate agencies’ information.
- Local government authorities: to communicate about most local government services.
Local government authorities’ information.
- Trade unions: to assist workers in access support and advice.
Trade unions' information.
- Parliamentarians: for constituency purposes.
- Eligible allied health professionals: when delivering Medicare rebatable services in private practice within specific local government areas (LGA)
Allied health professionals’ information.
How to register for the Free Interpreting Service
Non-government organisations providing approved casework or emergency services, which are not substantially government funded, should apply for access by completing the Free Interpreting Service for non-government organisations form.
Eligible groups can use the Free Interpreting Service to access interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- Automated Telephone Interpreting Service (ATIS)
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- on-site interpreting (not available to pharmacies or real estate agents)
- video remote interpreting.
For more information, read Frequently Asked Questions for agencies and log in to TIS Online for our TIS Online user guides for agencies.
Share this pageFacebook Twitter