Free Interpreting Service for real estate agencies
The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services for people with limited or no English language proficiency.
Real estate agencies can access the Free Interpreting Service to discuss any private residential property matters with their clients.
Why real estate agencies use interpreters
Australia has a rich cultural diversity. The 2016 census revealed that Australians were born in almost 200 different countries and speak more than 300 languages.
Real estate agents are obliged to make sure that clients properly understand details of transactions, particularly when entering into legally binding agreements, such as tenancies and sales contracts, or when explaining tenancy obligations.
Real estate agents can use credentialed interpreters to communicate technical or complex information and to establish a relationship with clients who have limited or no English language proficiency.
Using the Free Interpreting Service is easy and convenient. It is quick and simple to register and you will be connected to a phone interpreter within a few minutes.
Services available to real estate agencies
Any property manager, office support staff, or real estate agent can use the Free Interpreting Service to access phone interpreting services delivered by TIS National, including:
- immediate phone interpreting
- pre-booked phone interpreting
Immediate phone interpreting is most useful for unplanned interactions. It provides:
- access to more than 2700 interpreters in more than 150 languages.
- interpreting services 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- connection to an interpreter within a few minutes of calling
Pre-booked phone interpreting is useful for planned interactions, such as appointments for signing rental agreements, or if you need to request a less common language.
Real estate agencies are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service if they:
- hold a real estate agency licence
- provide private residential property services (rental or sales), and
- are providing services to anyone in Australia who has a Medicare card
The Free Interpreting Service can be used for any private residential property matter, including but not limited to:
- signing new tenancy agreements
- organising an inspection
- consulting with owners wishing to sell their house
- consulting with buyers wishing to buy a house
- completing the sale of a house.
Register for a client code
Each real estate agent will need a unique client code to access the service. To register for a client code, complete the online client registration form on the TIS National website. If you require assistance with registering contact TIS National on 1300 575 847.
How to access the Free Interpreting Service
- Call TIS National on 131 450.
- Provide the operator with the language of the interpreter that you need.
- Provide your client code and the name of the real estate agency
- Request an interpreter of a particular gender, if required (subject to availability).
- Read: about the Free Interpreting Service: tisnational.gov.au/FIS
- Watch: videos about TIS National services and how to work with interpreters tisnational.gov.au/videos
- Order: free promotional materials from the online TIS National catalogue: tisnational.gov.au/promomaterials
- Contact: TIS National on 1300 575 847 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Interpreting Service: 131 450
Download the PDF version of the Free Interpreting Service - real estate agencies information sheet
Download the DOC version of the Free Interpreting Service - real estate agencies information sheet
Share this pageFacebook Twitter