Charges and free services
Interpreting service charges
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) provides interpreting services on a fee-for service basis.
Free services through TIS National
The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services that are not government funded, for people with limited or no English language proficiency.
TIS National delivers the Free Interpreting Service on behalf of the Australian Government. The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service to provide services to anyone in Australia who is eligible for Medicare:
The following groups can access the Free Interpreting Service.
- Medical practitioners: Private medical practitioners are defined as general practitioners, nurse practitioners and approved medical specialists. Private medical practitioners are eligible to access the Free Interpreting Service when delivering Medicare rebateable services in private practice. Practice support staff working with a private medical practitioner registered with TIS National can also access the service using the same client code.
- Pharmacies: to provide community pharmacy services and for programs delivered under the 6th Community Pharmacy Agreement.
- Non-government organisations: when providing casework and emergency services, where the organisation does not receive substantial government funding to provide these services.
- Real estate agencies: to discuss any private residential property matter.
- Local government authorities: to communicate about most local government services.
- Trade unions: to assist workers to access support and advice.
- Parliamentarians: for constituency purposes.
More information about the Free Interpreting Service is available here.
You can check your eligibility for the Free Interpreting Service using the eligibility calculator on the TIS National website. Find out if your organisation is eligible for free interpreting.
Enquiries about the Free Interpreting Service can be made on 1300 575 847 or at email@example.com.